Space Foundation Fact Sheet
About the Space Foundation
The Space Foundation is a global, nonprofit organization and the foremost advocate for all sectors of the space industry. Founded in 1983 and based in Colorado Springs, Colo., the Space Foundation is a leader in space awareness activities, major industry events, space-related educational enterprises and space-related research. Our mission is to advance space-related endeavors to inspire, enable and propel humanity.
Financial and Community Support
As a nonprofit organization, the Space Foundation is dependent upon a range of supporting organizations and individual donors. Corporate Members provide support through memberships and sponsorships. Foundations and individual donors provide financial and in-kind support for Space Foundation programs and public spaces including our Visitors Center and space artifacts collections. In addition, the Space Foundation has a large corps of dedicated volunteers who assist with the Visitors Center, Space Symposium, education programs and other events and activities.
Space Foundation World Headquarters and Discovery Center: Colorado Springs, Colo.
Space Foundation Discovery Institute: Colorado Springs, Colo.
Government Affairs, Research and Analysis: Washington, D.C.
Field Office: Houston, Texas
+1.719.576.8000 or +1.800.691.4000
Director - Public Relations & Team Communications
- Education: The Space Foundation is building the next generation of space leaders and improving the overall quality of education through teacher, student and community programs that use space themes to improve students' interest and skills in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
- Space Symposium: The Space Foundation’s Space Symposium is widely known as the premier space policy and program forum and the "must attend" opportunity for information on and interaction among all sectors of space, and has been held each spring since 1984 at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Research and Analysis: The Space Foundation provides factual, credible information and analysis about the space industry for policymakers, media, educators and individuals through white papers, forums, special projects and the Space Foundation's annual publication, The Space Report: The Authoritative Guide to Global Space Activity.
- Public Policy and Government Affairs: The Space Foundation conducts a broad range of programs to educate policymakers about complex space-related topics to improve understanding of space issues and create a better environment for constructive space policy dialog.
- International Affairs: The Space Foundation executes a broad program of global engagement by fostering dialog and collaboration among space-faring nations including presenting at international conferences, hosting delegations and speakers, partnership with international organizations and educational institutions and supporting global corporate members.
- Space CertificationTM: The Space Foundation builds awareness of the benefits of space through our Space Certification program, which demonstrates how space technologies improve life on Earth and makes space more interesting and accessible to everyone.
- Space Technology Hall of Fame®: The Space Technology Hall of Fame increases public awareness of the benefits of space exploration and encourages further innovation by recognizing individuals, organizations and companies that effectively adapt and market technologies originally developed for space to improve the quality of life for all humanity.
- New Generation Initiatives: The Space Foundation provides a forum for promising young space professionals, age 35 and under, to learn about the space business and advance their careers.
- Cyber Initiatives: The Space Foundation provides targeted programs to create linkage between the traditional space community and the emerging realm of cyberspace - a domain for both strategic and tactical operations characterized by the use of electronics.
- Corporate Membership: The Space Foundation receives support from a wide range of Corporate Members, who make it possible for us to successfully deliver programs that advance our mission.