The Web Developer/Designer is critical to building and maintaining the Space Foundation’s brand on the Internet as well as gathering business requirements and developing specifications for web-based applications. The Web Developer/Designer has experience creating top-notch websites, landing pages, social media platforms and aspires to perfect the user experience and search engine optimization (SEO). The individual in this position will support other non-web design projects as needed.
The following briefly describes responsibilities of this job, but it is not intended to be a complete or all-inclusive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of this position:
- Work with web development and marketing team to design and maintain external websites and content management frameworks such as Drupal, and ensure that they are visually effective, accessible, and easy to use
- Communicate effectively with internal customers/team leaders, translating non-technical business requirements into dynamic, functional web applications
- Manage requests from internal customers/team leaders of varying scope and complexity
- Assist in creating and maintaining site infrastructure and supporting systems
- Integrate third party applications into the core Space Foundation websites as necessary
- Support web analytics and SEO efforts through diligent coding practices
- Play an active role in website development, social media platforms and apps, planning and innovation
- Manage and maintain website security
- Create visual designs, graphics, banners and user Interface elements
- Lead assigned tasks and projects through the appropriate design lifecycle, from requirements gathering, wireframing/prototyping and design concepts to final visual design, functional specifications and documentation
- Work closely with other web designers (internal and third party), digital communications strategists, content creators, graphic designers, and marketing professionals to deliver effective user interfaces and consistent results
- Perform other duties as assigned
The following briefly describes knowledge, skills, abilities and characteristics associated with this position, including any required experience, education, licensure, certification, or combination thereof:
- Intermediate/Expert Drupal development knowledge
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Ability to create dynamic pages utilizing database integration
- Knowledge of Web standards and browser compatibility issues
- Experience designing and developing HTML and text e-mail campaigns
- Understanding of SEO and SEM best practices and tactics
- Experience with website analytics solutions and reporting
- Experience developing social networking strategies desirable
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment - managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to effectively work in a team-environment
- Excellent judgment in analyzing and resolving complex issues
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Intermediate experience with MS Office applications
- 5+ years of professional Web development and design experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Web design/development, graphic design or related field
- Candidates must have an online portfolio to be considered for this position
- Experience with eCommerce integration
- Multi-platform, responsive design
- App development
- Strong graphic design skills
- Basic knowledge of how to administer web servers, web hosting and DNS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals in this position will generally work indoors, and will have a workspace designated solely for him/her. Necessary office furnishings, equipment and supplies will be provided by the Foundation. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may periodically be required to work outdoors and would be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The employee may periodically be required to work in an offsite environment or at special events, and from time-to-time may be asked to travel on Foundation business, at the Foundation’s expense. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
1) FLSA Classification: This position is exempt according to guidelines of the Fair Labor Standards Act and, as such, an individual in this position is not eligible to receive overtime pay.
2) Full- or Part-Time: This position is full-time in nature. An individual in this position will regularly work a schedule consisting of 40 hours per week.
3) Work Location: This position’s primary work site is the headquarters location in Colorado Springs, CO. The nature and responsibilities of this position are such that it is eligible for alternative worksite arrangements, such as working from home or telecommuting, on an occasional, infrequent and/or as needed basis.*
4) Regular Schedule: Usual business days are Monday through Friday, holidays excepted, and usual business hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. in the time zone in which the position is located. The nature and responsibilities of this position are such that it is not eligible for flexible work scheduling, such as 4-day workweek or alternate start/end times, on a consistent or recurring basis.*
* With reference to Job Status, numbers 3 and 4: If eligible, any alternative worksite arrangements and/or flexible work scheduling must be documented, effective-dated, and approved in writing by supervisor, COO and HR, and may be discontinued by management at any time, for any reason. Documentation must be retained in the personnel record for team member to whom it applies, together with this job description.