Director - Development
In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, the Director - Development is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build The Space Foundation’s visibility, impact and financial resources. The Director - Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director - Development will have primary responsibility for improving the Space Foundation’s development capacity to grow a $10M budget through the successful solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events support, and corporate and foundation support.
The Director - Development will expand and diversify The Space Foundation’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for key initiatives, with a strong emphasis on supporting the Foundation’s formal education enterprise, its informal education enterprise (Visitors Center) and general operations. The Director - Development will collaborate closely with the Senior Vice President - Strategic Partnerships and will at all times maintain an appropriate partnership with the Marketing and Communications team, the Education team, the Visitors Center team, Operations and others within the Foundation who provide essential support to the Director - Development, or who are directly supported by the Director - Development.
It is expected that the amount of funding raised by The Space Foundation will increase significantly in future years as the Director - Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
The following briefly describes representative responsibilities of this job, but it is not intended to be a complete or all-inclusive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of this position:
- Support and partner with the CEO, team leaders, and board members on major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to develop and implement The Space Foundation’s financial strategy.
- Actively work with the CEO and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate foundations, grant making foundations, government grants, individual gifts, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; develop processes and criteria for grant writing, to include assuming primary grant writer role on major proposals, or delegation of grant writing to contract or staff grant writers as appropriate. Manage the proposal process with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position The Space Foundation ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Organize and monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to senior leaders.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Identify, develop, mentor and, over time, grow the development team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The following briefly describes knowledge, skills, abilities and characteristics associated with this position, including any required experience, education, licensure, certification, or combination thereof:
- 10 years of professional experience in a nonprofit environment; demonstrated success and professional growth in the development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources).
- Tangible, demonstrable experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work independently, without close oversight, while exemplifying the attributes of a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside The Space Foundation.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- High energy and passion for The Space Foundation’s mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Customer focus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects.